David López-García, PhD
Dr. López-García is a Bridge to Faculty Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC) Department of Urban Planning and Policy (UPP). Broadly speaking, his research spans urban political economy, urban structure, urban accessibility, distributional effects of transport and land-use policies, and institutional arrangements for urban governance. His book “Worker Mobility and Urban Policy in Latin America: Policy Interactions and Urban Outcomes in Mexico City” is in print with Routledge and forthcoming in October 2022.
- López-García, D. & Heathcott, J. (forthcoming) “Showcase Politics: The production and distribution of new public space in Mexico City”. Journal of Urban Affairs.
- Whitney, R. & López-García, D. (forthcoming) “Fast-track institutionalization: The opening of urban planning best practice agencies in Mexico City”. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space.
- López-García, D. & Baker, D. (2022) “Diverging Mobility Situations: Measuring Relative Job Accessibility and Differing Socioeconomic Conditions in New York City”. Annals of the American Association of Geographers, online first.
- López-García, D. & Gómez-Álvarez, D. (2022) “Estructura urbana del Área Metropolitana de Guadalajara, 1999-2019: Un análisis de subcentros de empleo” [Urban structure of Guadalajara, Mexico, 1999-2019: An analysis of employment subcenters]. Estudios Demográficos y Urbanos, 37(2), 427-481.
- López-García, D. (2017) “Mediation styles and participant’s perception of success in consultative councils: The case of Guadalajara, Mexico”. Journal of Public Deliberation, 13(2), Article 10.
- López-García, D. (in print) “Worker mobility and urban policy in Latin America: Policy interactions and urban outcomes in Mexico City”. Routledge advances in Regional Economics, Science and Policy. London: Routledge.
- Delgado, G. & López-García, D. (2020) “Cities and COVID-19: New Directions for Urban Research and Public Policies”. Mexico City: Knowledge Platform for Urban Transformation, International Network for Government and Science.
- López-García, D. (in print) “Desigualdades en el viaje al trabajo en la Zona Metropolitana de la Ciudad de México” [Inequalities in the journey to work in Mexico City Metropolitan Zone]. In Martha Schteingart, Clara Salazar, and Jaime Sobrino (Eds.), Desigualdades Territoriales. México: El Colegio de México.
- López-García, D. (2022) “Building Inequality: Infrastructure and Intra-Urban Inequality in the Capitalist City”, In Deljana Iossifova, Yahya Gamal and Alexandros Gasparatos (Eds.), Urban Infrastructuring: reconfigurations, transformations and sustainability in the Global South. Singapore: Springer Nature.
- López-García, D. (2019) “La Paz, Bolivia: The social construction of risk and vulnerability”. In Michael Cohen, Margarita Gutman and María Carrizosa (Eds.) Facing Risk. New Urban Resilience Practices in Latin America, The New School.
Queens College, CUNY
- URBST-105 | Urban Politics (undergraduate).
- URBST-705 | The Just City in Theory and Practice (graduate).
- URBST-725 | Urban Research Methods (graduate).
The New School
- NURP 5001 | Economics for Public Policy (graduate).
- PGUD 5310 – Design and Urban Ecologies Thesis (graduate).
- PUDM 4120 – Senior Capstone 1 (undergraduate).
University of Guadalajara
- Ph.D. in Urbanism, Doctoral Research Seminar VIII
- Latin American chapter of the International Network for Transport and Accessibility in Low-Income Communities (INTALInC-LAC).
- Policy Mobilities Working Group (PMGW) organized by the Interdisciplinary Center for Development Studies at Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia.
- Urban Affairs Association (UAA), Latin American Studies Association (LASA), and the Regional Studies Association (RSA).
- The Just City in Africa: Democracy, Social Justice, and Sustainability in A Post-COVID-19 World. Commissioned by the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES) to write a working paper on transport in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and Kampala (Uganda). October 2021 – April 2022.
Urban Indicators Specialist
- The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA). Pilot of the Voluntary Local Reviews (VLR) in African Local Governments: Accra (Ghana), Harare (Zimbabwe), Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe), Yaoundé (Cameroon), and Ngora District (Uganda). Dececmber 2019 – October.
- The Latin American Development Bank (CAF). Study of urban resilience best practice policies in Latin American cities. September 2017 – December 2018.
Principal Investigator & Project Manager
- The German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ). Cost-benefit analysis of the low-caron emission zone program ECOZONA, in Toluca, Mexico. September 2016 – February 2017.